Translate

Sunday, August 31, 2014

My Story ❀

I come from a middle-class Puerto Rican family. Born in a military base in Germany and raised in the beautiful island. My parents got to live all over the world because my dad was in the military. They come from a long way of having nothing to having so much to give my siblings and me. They are exceptional parents, who aren’t afraid to show us their love.

All my life my siblings and I have taken care of each other when mom and dad were busy working, of course the oldest one taking care of the little ones. My big sister, whom I have to be grateful for, has made me a responsible college student. Since elementary school she was the one in charge of making sure my twin brother and me had our homework ready; this made me realize how important studies were.
My siblings and I were raised to be independent. We all learned how to cook, iron and do the chores around the house without being asked. This is why I do everything by myself, or I guess, almost everything. Our parents taught us to take care of ourselves; so when we got off to live alone, we wouldn’t need someone else’s help.



 My parents have been always really supportive. When I got to high school I remember all those parents being so demanding so their kids would get in great universities. My mom always said “you be what you want to be in life, but be the best at it and love it”. She would never tell me what I should study or what to do in life. I’ve always had support from her, and since I was little I had my own sense of responsibility of my life. I’m the one in charge of my future profession and my parents support me all the way
In my family, I’m kind of the negotiator. When there is a fight, I’m the one who listens to all sides of everyone’s story and try to calm things down. This has made me the daughter they depend on rather than me depending on them. Since my aunt passed away, my mother has taken care of my grandmother, but as she is busy working, I have to take care of her. This has been the part of my life were my mother has depended too much on me, a part that has been difficult but has made me stronger than ever. Nevertheless, I’ve always wanted a normal college student life, I’ve accepted this challenge, learned from it, and has made me a better person.

2 comments:

  1. I can identify with you because I also help my mom taking care of my grandparents. It's not easy, but it feels good being able to help our family as much as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family sticks together and that sometimes include taking jobs we are not prepared for. In my case taking care of my sister as you for your grandmother. In the end family is family.

    ReplyDelete